My favorite cut of meat has to be the port butt (shoulder) because you can create a million and one meals from this wonderful hunk of meat! The versatility is amazing so I LOVE using different spices or vegetables to flavor the meat and of course we can’t forget about leftovers the next day. YUM!! Feel free to make this your own recipe just as long as your follow these few steps you’ll be one happy camper!!
Mexican-Style Pork Butt
– 1 Spanish Onion (diced)
– 2 Garlic cloves (diced)
– 3 to 4T Rib Tickler Spice Rub
– 1 (3 or 4lb) Pork Butt (Shoulder)
– Olive Oil
– 1 can Modelo Beer (any Mexican Beer)
– 2T Tomato Paste
– 1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar
– 2T Whole Grain Mustard
– 1/2C Ketchup
– 1 dried Ancho chile
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large dutch oven or heavy cast iron pot to medium heat (big enough to hold meat). Add olive oil and onion; brown lightly then add garlic for a couple of minutes. Remove onion and garlic and set aside.
2. Cut any large pieces of fat from the meat then liberally sprinkle/rub Rib Tickler Spice rub and 1T salt/pepper over entire pork butt. Raise heat to medium-high heat and add meat. Sear all sides of the meat till golden brown. Remove meat and set aside.
3. Add the onion and garlic back in the pot along with the rest of the ingredients and scrap the bottom of the pan. Add the meat back in the pot and coat all sides with the liquid.
4. Cover pot and put in oven for 1 hour. Flip meat over and cook for another hour. Flip meat over again and cook for final hour with top off.
5. The meat is ready when it’s falling apart with a fork. Enjoy!